Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cake, Cupcakes & Cookies...
{some of the *sweet* stuff we served for dessert at our wedding}

I must admit that the cake was not on the top of my priority list but it was something I wanted to be crafty and unique. I’m not a huge fan of traditional wedding cakes and displays but I had NO IDEA of what I wanted… until I consulted my super duper dessert expert friend, Lydia from Elle Cee’s Cake Boutique (she’s amazing!). Lydia opened up a whole new ‘dessert table’ perspective for me and she helped me realize that the dessert can be as personal as any other part of the wedding. So, after doing a little online searching (the magazines are all so repetitive…) I really liked Amy Atlas’ ideas and the idea that half the success of a good cake/dessert table is finding the right way to display the yummy sweets.

This leads us to my next point. Once I realized all this about the dessert table, I somehow came up with the idea to use my parent’s old kitchen hutch. It had been in the house I grew up in and seemed like such a great personal touch. My dad thought I had crossed over into crazy bride land but he later realized what a great idea it was! We dug the hutch out of storage and it was a perfect fit for our little hometown, rustic celebration.

Wow, I didn’t realize how much I had to say about wedding desserts… but I will keep typing b/c it’s so fun to reminisce. Since I am a HUGE advocate for eating candy and sweets, I liked the idea of offering a variety of goodies, especially since I only wanted a very small, simple cake. We had our family friend, Kelly Hansen, make the desserts and she was so great to work with. I think I finally decided on the cake design about a week before the wedding, eek, but she was very patient with me. As you can see in the pics above, the cake is super simple but it totally fit my vision (and I would include Chase’s ‘vision’ in this but he’ll even admit that he didn’t care about the cake). Instead of a cake topper we had Kelly make a heart out of fondant with our initials which matched some of the homemade wood signs we used to decorate the road. The cake filling and cupcakes were stuffed with berries which was from a cake recipe that Chase’s mom gave me (omg, yum!). Of course we had to have chocolate covered strawberries since Driscolls is one of the only (and best!) companies that has special, extra grande berries for dipping.

I think cutting the cake was a turning point for me in the night. I had been a little overwhelmed by sticking to the timeline and all the attention so when we finally got up from the head table to walk over to the cake hutch I realized that it was time to start having fun! We had a sweet cake cutting… I seriously threatened Chase before the wedding to absolutely NOT shove cake in my face and he listened (another reason why I love him so much!). The cutest part though was at the very end when Chase licked the cake cutting knife! I made sure no one used it to cut the cake after that… oh well, it was our wedding, he should be able to lick the knife if he wants. I wouldn’t change a thing about our dessert table or the way we cut the cake… but I would do it again if I could!

A little bridely advice about the stuff that goes with the sweets ---Cake toppers don’t have to be limited to two little people but can be something super personal. Check out Etsy for some neat ideas. And don’t forget to find a cake serving set… it’s traditional to have your names and wedding date engraved on the serving utensil but again, you can do whatever seems best for you and your new spouse to be. That’s all the *sweet* talk I got for you tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment